Psoriasis on the head. Psoriasis of the scalp: treatment, symptoms and causes
Psoriasis is a skin disease of inflammatory nature. It is characterized by a chronic course. Pathology manifests itself clinically by reddish spots on the scalp, severe itching.
The main cause of this disease is a disorder of metabolic processes in the body. Psoriasis is not transmitted by airborne droplets. With excessive growth and rapid division of the cells of the upper epithelium on the scalp gradually formed pink nodules, covered with large scales. They can be combined among themselves, forming spots of different sizes. Seal does not affect the growth of hair and do not cause of hair loss.
Psoriasis on the head usually affects the following areas:
- The skin on his forehead.
- The areas about hog.
The causes of the disease
Currently, the true cause of this disease is not established. This pathology is considered to be genetically determined, its occurrence can trigger a variety of external factors, as well as abnormalities in the body's metabolic processes. The disease affects people regardless of their gender or social background. Most often psoriasis on head diagnosed in boys and girls under the age of 30 years.
With the development of the disease the cells of the epithelium of the head begin to rapidly divide. Normally, this process requires at least 25 days. In the case of psoriasis the division and updates is shortened to five days. As a result, old cells simply do not have time from divided, to form flakes, and then the tubercles are formed and the area of inflammation.
Pathology has no significant impact on the human body. Inconveniences usually arise due to severe itching and flaking of the skin. In addition, the lesions cannot be hidden from the sight of others. All this leads to problems of a psychological nature.
As already noted, the characteristic scales and seals are the main symptom of a disease such as psoriasis on the head. Its causes are attributable to the following factors:
- Pathology of infectious nature.
- Frequent stress.
- Problems with the digestive tract.
- Traumas and burns of the scalp.
- Poor nutrition.
- The use of alcoholic beverages, Smoking.
- The influence of low temperatures on the skin.
- Violation of metabolic processes.
- Disorders of the endocrine nature.
- The constant intoxication of the organism.
- Changing hormonal levels.
Psoriasis treatment involves identifying its causes and their subsequent elimination. We explain in more detail later in this article.
What signs indicate psoriasis head?
The initial stage of disease is characterized by appearance of rash on forehead, neck, temples, earlobe. They resemble small nodules with a reddish hue. At the initial stage usually does not happen a lot. A large number of lesions observed on the background of serious psycho-emotional overload or infectious processes.
Over time the nodules increase in size, coalesce into large pockets. They practically do not interfere with hair growth and do not affect hair loss. In areas of scratches appear in all new homes. The skin gradually becomes rough, easily damaged and constantly bleeds. The scales also increase in volume, thicken. Now they resemble white flakes. At the final stage of the disease the boundaries of the plaques acquire clear contours. New stains doesn't appear, and old ones start to peel off.
In addition to skin rashes psoriasis on the head is characterized by the appearance vegetative disorders dystonic nature. Patients report a slight rise in temperature. In some cases, muscles atrophy, the doctors diagnosed asthenic syndrome, there are failures in the systems of internal organs.
Forms and stages of the disease
Pathology usually develops in several stages:
- Progressive. Active appearance of new lesions, increasing the area of localization.
- Stationary. The stage of calm, when the clinical picture remains unchanged for a long time. The new education does not appear, and old ones do not disappear.
- Regressive. The scales disappear at the site of lesions are formed dark spots.
Over time, the disease can mutate, changing from mild to severe. The first is characterized by the presence of small lesions, the scales are soft and small in size. Severe form is characterized by the coarsening of the skin. The scales gradually increase in size, covering a large area of the head.
Confirmation of the diagnosis
How to treat psoriasis on the head can tell the physician after a detailed diagnosis. It begins with a survey of the patient, examination of the characteristic lesions, studies of skin flakes in the laboratory. In addition, the diagnosis of the disease helps the so-called triad of psoriasis:
- Symptom of stearin spot (after scraping of papules the surface takes on a whitish hue begins to separate scales).
- The phenomenon of terminal film (after removing the scales remains shiny surface).
- Symptom Auspitz (with the phenomenon stearin spot terminal film on the surface of the affected, there is a point bleeding).
That psoriasis scalp is regressing, shows the appearance of a white ring around them of papules .
Means for the local treatment of
Therapy should be carried out by a dermatologist based on the causes of the disease and the stage of its development. Usually patients prescribed the following drugs:
- Based tools tar . Contribute to curbing the growth of cells,healing of the skin.
- Drugs, which includes panthenol . These funds have low anti-inflammatory properties, have a regenerating and nourishing effect.
- Antihistamines .
- Ointment with vitamin D3 . Inhibit the proliferation of keratinocytes, have a pronounced anti-inflammatory action.
- Retinoids. Inhibit the formation of skin flakes.
- Cosmetics, which are composed of plant components . Have moisturizing and healing effect.
- The antifungal drugs . Eliminate peeling and inflammation on the skin.
If the patient is diagnosed with severe psoriasis on the head treatment at home involves the use of local preparations on the basis of glucocorticoid hormones. Such funds are usually administered after exclusion of possible contraindications.
In severe forms of the disease, patients are recommended drugs for internal use. The complex scheme of treatment, as a rule, selected on an individual basis. It may include the reception of the following drugs:
- The chelators .
- The immunomodulators .
- Antihistamines .
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs .
- The cytostatics .
How to treat psoriasis on the head with the appearance related ailments? In the case of infection of the skin and the accession of other diseases, can cause an exacerbation (pyoderma, sore throat), patient antibiotic therapy is recommended.
Physiotherapy treatments are also prescribed to patients with a diagnosis of "psoriasis of the scalp". Treatment usually includes the following activities:
- Cryotherapy. During this procedure, the doctor acts on the areas affected by low temperatures, causing the cells to die. This helps to normalize metabolic processes in the body and reduce symptoms of the inflammatory process.
- Laser therapy. The use of a laser guarantees the destruction of existing plaque psoriasis.
- PUVA phototherapy. On the affected skin area is applied to a photo sensitizer, and then the irradiation with ultraviolet light. Sometimes patients are recommended to combine this technique with taking retinoids.
- Hirudotherapy. This option of treatment is immuno-stimulating and anti-inflammatory effects, reduces itching.
- Phototherapy. During the procedure, the doctor irradiates the centers of pathology with the assistance of sources of ultraviolet light.
Prevention of exacerbations
To treat this disease much harder to prevent it from occurring. That is why should take care of prevention. It will not only reduce the risk of disease, but also to prevent relapses in the future.
First and foremost, doctors recommend to reconsider your diet. One of the causes of psoriasis is a malfunction of the gastrointestinal tract. What we eat definitely reflects on the skin. A strict diet allows ease of pathology and to avoid relapse after treatment. Doctors recommend to refrain from fried, fatty, smoked, canned foods and sweets. The diet should consist of healthy foods (lean meats and fish, vegetables, fruits, cereals).
An important step of prevention is considered to be personal health. Shampoo for psoriasis of the head should be selected with special attention, it is better to apply for these purposes, the advice of a doctor. Wash your hair, you must be careful. A comb is better to buy wood, and be sure to exercise daily its disinfection. For some time, avoid salon treatments, not to use forceps and do not dry hair dryer.
The climate therapy is another option for prevention of exacerbations of the disease. The fresh sea air and water have a positive effect on the whole body, strengthen the immune system.
Psoriasis is a serious disease that will require competent treatment. Modern medicine offers multiple treatment options ranging from medication and ending with the use of leeches and ultraviolet radiation. With timely recourse to a specialist, many patients can reduce the onset of symptoms, thereby significantly improve the quality of life. Otherwise you increase the risk of transforming the disease into a chronic form.